Wiking is a toolkit for web application development in Python. Wiking CMS is a content management system written using this toolkit and is distributed along with it. It allows the user to manage a web-site using a web browser.
Key Wiking CMS features:
- The system is carefully designed to be accessible for website visitors as well as content creators.
- Support for internationalization and multilingual content is built-in. Multiple language variants of the content can be managed seamlessly.
- Content is created using a generalized and simple to learn structured text format.
- Page attachments (external files such as images, documents, recordings or videos) may be embedded in page content.
- Complete user registration process and user management subsystem supports e-mail registration confirmation, automatic notifications, password reminders, safe password storage and access rights management.
- Built-in modules for discussions, site news and planner/calendar with RSS support are also part of the default installation.
- The user may choose from a set of predefined styles and color themes or directly customize them.
- Wiking API allows development of simple Wiking CMS extensions embeddable in page content or complete stand-alone web applications.
- The output conforms to W3C and other relevant standards.
- All components licensed under GNU GPL.
Existing Wiking CMS applications developed within our other projects:
- Wiking BTS — Bug Tracking System (see it at http://bugs.brailcom.org)
- Wiking Surveys — Web survey creation and evaluation tool
- Wiking Communicator — Audio/video conferencing application using Flash
- Wiking LMS — Learning Management System (see it at http://show.langschool.eu)
- Wiking Biblio — Digital library (see it at http://biblio.ktn.cz)
The user interface is currently translated into Czech, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian Polish, Slovak and Spanish. Other translations are being added gradually. Please, contact us if you want to contribute.